Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Itty Bitty Russy

Baby Man Russ is 9 months old now.  He just so happens to have my heart wrapped around his little finger, just like his big bro.  I am in so much trouble!  One of my favorite things to do these days is go on walks with Russ strapped in the front pack.  I know our cuddly days are limited, so I am eating them up while I can.
Russ sits as sturdy as an oak now.  That is, until he tries to jump from a seated position. Wild baby!
 Brotherly love!  I couldn't be happier that they love each other SOOOOO much.
 Russ likes to take selfies.  Hahaha
 He's crawling now!!! 
Russ prefers to stand more than anything else.  The jumperoo keeps him occupied nicely while I make dinner...until he starts screeching to get my attention.  He likes it when the attention is centered on him, and only him. 

By way of other updates, Russ went in for his 9 month checkup today and Dr. E said he looks "good and healthy."  Interestingly though, Russ is not giant-sized like his big bro, but rather itty bitty (at least weight wise).  His current measurements: 18lbs 2oz (10-15th percentile) and 28 1/2 inches (50th percentile).  Since I am accustomed to Henry hovering near the top of the growth charts I strangely feel a bit guilty about Russ not being near the top of the growth charts as well.  I think Dr. E could sense that I was a bit anxious about his measurements and he reassured me that "Russ is completely within the normal weight range for kids his age.  There is nothing to worry about!"  This is especially so because he has been battling a doozy of a cold for the last two weeks (nursing is challenging with a plugged up nose) and has become much more active now that he can crawl and scoot around the room.  Dr. E confirmed that Russ is developing "on track and as expected" in all areas they monitor (fine motor skills, gross motor skills, communication, problem solving, social etc.)  Yay for a healthy baby!

Russ is eating more and more solids.  He actually prefers eating whatever I am eating (chopped up into tiny pieces of course) rather than pureed baby food (even though its homemade, so it actually has some flavor).  For example, he prefers dry cereal (like Cheerios) over baby rice cereal.  Who could blame him, I like Cheerios over cream of wheat too!  He has four teeth now to help him chomp.  It's amazing what he can gum though.  Last night he had several (tiny) bites of baked chicken.  Who would have guessed you can chew chicken without any teeth.  It gives me hope for old age (when I am toothless). 

He enjoys reading books, stealing his brothers toys, putting EVERYTHING in his mouth, banging his toys against the table, and babbling up a storm.  It's rarely quiet in our house if Russ is awake.

And, thankfully, he is starting to sleep better.  More consistently.  He usually only wakes up once now in the middle of the night (sometime between 3:30-5:00) and he consistently takes an afternoon nap (usually 2-2.5 hours).  He sometimes concedes and takes a morning nap as well (when we are lucky!). 

All in all, Russ is a pretty happy-go-lucky little dude.  I think we'll keep him!

No comments:

Post a Comment