Friday, December 21, 2012

Friday Thanks

I am so very fortunate to have amazing parents.  This week's thanks focuses on them:

* My Mama.  When I think about how much I love my Mama, my eyes swell with tears.  Words really can't describe the depths of my adoration for my mom.  My mom is my rock.  She encourages me, supports me, coaches me, calms me, helps me in countless ways, and keeps me sane, by just being her.  She has taught me more than I ever realized about how to be a great mom and person, by simply modeling the behavior. My mom is one of the most hard-working people I know (she never stops moving).  She's kind and thoughtful, so often sacrificing her desires for others.  She's generous.  She's loving.  She's nurturing. She's beautiful, inside and out.  She taught me one of the most important life lessons: "You can't control others, only yourself.  When things get rough, change your perspective." On top of it all, she's a rock-star grandma.  The love and attention she pays to my son, MELTS MY HEART. To the bottom of my heart, I am thankful for my mom.  I love her.

* My Daddy (yes, I still call him Daddy): My dad was the one who made me believe in the concept "you can be anything you put your mind to."  He taught me how to dream big and then go after those dreams.  Much of my achievement in my life is thanks to my dad's work in making me believe in myself.  Pushing me to want ever more in life and to be the best that I could be.  Teaching me not to give up and to be patient. Growing up, my dad always made me a priority, made our family a priority.  He took a sincere interest in my life.  He made me feel important and relevant. My dad has always been my biggest fan.  I will forever be my daddy's little girl.

* My mother-in-law, Sherry.  I am blessed to have her in my life.  She's not just family, but someone I call a friend.  She's an amazing grandma who is a master of the wonder of childhood; singing songs, making art, telling stories, playing pretend and always having Henry's favorite snacks on hand.  She's a wise teacher, both professionally and in life to me and my young family.  Earlier this month, she stayed at our house for a night (when Ryan worked) to take care of my babies (two and four-legged) so that I could go visit my college bestie up in Seattle. I am so thankful that I have someone in my life that I have absolutely no worries leaving Henry (and Sophie) with overnight.  That mental/emotional comfort is a HUGE gift to a mom.  Many people have strained relationships with their in-laws.  I am so glad that I do not.  I am so grateful that I have a meaningful relationship with my mother-in-law. Life is better with her in it.

* My father-in-law, Keith.  I am thankful for my father-in-law's humor and thoughtfulness, two things he passed on to his son, which I also find to be two of Ryan's best qualities.  Keith has always accepted me for me, even though he initially thought I was wound super tight and anal (probably still does...hehehe).  He's always encouraged me to let go and be happier, not to fuss over things so much (that don't really matter).  He's poked fun at me since the day I met him, which is how I know he likes me.  Although some may think he has a rough (perhaps grumpy) exterior, he is always willing to lend a helping hand and he routinely does nice things for others.  For example, he will make each of the kids favorites pie (including mine) because he knows they are their favorite.  He'll make berry jam, arduously straining the seeds (because most don't like them), just to put them back in a couple of jars for me (because I like the seeds). He's been know to drive me across town in the snow because I'm afraid to drive in the snow and help Ryan shovel 9 cubic yards of gravel when his body didn't want to take another step because Ryan simply asked for some help.  He does these things because he cares, and I am grateful that he cares for me.

2 comments:

  1. awww. if your parents don't read this regularly, you should send this post to them.

    merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post! I hope you had a wonderful holiday. I am grateful to call you my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete