Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Manzanita - Fun at the Park

This past weekend, Henry and I went to the beach.  My friend Britney was staying just north of Manzanita (about 20 minutes from our beach house) this weekend and she invited us over for a play date. She was itching to get the kiddos out of the house so she suggested we go to the city park in Manzanita, which is super cool because it is covered in sand rather than wood chips.  Who knew (other than Britney of course) that this park existed. Thanks for taking us there Britney!  Henry really enjoyed the swings.
Henry also enjoyed the big plastic tube.  The fun thing about this big plastic tube is that we put the babies inside and then the big kids (including kids we had never met) came up to play peek-a-boo with the babies.  I am always amazed at the social graces of children.  Imagine a world where grown-ups were so willing to make nice. 
Henry's checkin' Sienna out. He isn't so sure what Sienna thinks is so funny.  It was cute watching these two stand by the side of the slide while the big kids came barreling down. 

Henry wasn't so sure about the sand at first (this was his first experience going barefoot in the sand), but after about 15 minutes, he decided it wasn't too bad.  Man does the sand travel though, I continue to find sand in every corner of my car and diaper bag. : )  Oh well, not that big of a price to pay for an afternoon of fun.

By way of other updates:

Henry has a new frustrated expression.  I call it "squish face." When he gets frustrated, usually after Mama or Daddy says "no," he will furrow his brow and scrunch up his nose while flinging his arms back and forth and complaining "eeeeehhhhh eeeehhhhhh!!!"  I know I shouldn't respond, but is it so funny. I can't help but chuckle sometimes. 

Henry learned how to wave bye-bye a few months ago, but he didn't always do it.  Now he almost always waves bye-bye if you say "bye bye."  Most mornings when I leave for work he will smile to me and wave bye-bye.  It totally melts my heart.

Our latest challenge is teeth brushing.  Okay, it's actually been an on-going challenge for the last several months, but it has reached a whole new level of tantrum throwing and wrestling.  I've tried singing songs, making a game out of it, using different toothbrushes and toothpaste, letting him brush my teeth while I brush his, letting him watch himself in the mirror, letting him stand rather than sit or lay down, etc.  Nothing works.  Henry HATES brushing his teeth.  On a positive note though, last night went pretty well, I held him on my hip in front of the bathroom mirror.  Used a bunch of toothpaste and ran the toothbrush under water MANY times (he likes to suck the water off the brush).  He actually voluntarily opened his mouth (I usually have to prie his mouth open) to let me brush...for a LITTLE while.  Then I finished with a cold wet wash cloth.  A baby book I was reading recently suggested trying to wipe/wash a baby's teeth rather than brush them if they are particularly freaked out about teeth brushing.  No crying, so I will call it a victory. Hopefully someday he will grow out of his resistance to oral hygiene.







1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! And my kiddos hate brushing their teeth, too. Brae has JUST started allowing me to do it without running away.

    ReplyDelete