Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Peach Picking

I recently took Henry and my mom peach picking at Bays Farm in Banks. They have a little slice of heaven up in the foothills where they grow various fruits. Henry of course had to start our adventure with a good look at the "lift it" (aka forklift tractor).  He loves all things with wheels, the bigger the better!
 Peek-a-boo.  "Mama find you!!!"  This is what Henry likes to say when he wants me to find him.
As I was busy picking peaches, Henry found a stray two-by-four on the farm.  Good thing it didn't have any nails!
After playing with the two-by-four, Henry discovered the rocks on the gravel road running through the middle of the farm.  I had to remind him that rocks are not meant for throwing like footballs.  He already has quite a little arm on him!
My mom and I quickly picked 57 lbs of peaches (3 buckets).  At first it didn't seem like all that many peaches when I dumped them out on my island, but then...
I stayed up until 2:30am canning 21 quarts of peaches and still had at least 20 lbs left over.  So, I proceeded to peel, cut and freeze 3 gallons of peaches.  Henry and I drank multiple peach smoothies throughout the weekend.  We ate a couple fresh peaches at each meal.  AND, I still had more peaches!  So, I made a peach crisp with about a dozen peaches to share with my mom and then shared about 5lbs of peaches with my next door neighbor.  Through this process, I discovered that 57lbs is indeed A LOT OF PEACHES!  It was a really fun adventure and it was exciting to try canning something new.  I will be happy this winter when we enjoy summer's bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment